Since starting a new diet with our toddler I’ve really been focusing on ways to make veggies taste good. He is a picky eater so the fact that he’ll eat any vegetable is amazing!
I’ve found the best way to get him to eat anything is to make it as crispy as possible. For so long he avoided sweet potatoes at all costs. In walked sweet potato fries and the party began for him.
Recently I’ve been working on using my time wisely, productively, and preparing ahead to avoid too many decisions during the day. Chopping up a batch of sweet potato fries for a meal can seem daunting, so I’ve completed the task a little differently. To use my time wisely I try to focus on prepping and make several batches.
This recipe is a great example! When I have the time during meal making to chop a veggie, I’ll chop away. For these sweet potato fries I’ll put the chopped strip into a bowl and bake some, then leave the rest for a later meal.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Chop sweet potatoes into strips. I love long strips but for the sake of better cooking its easier to cut them a bit shorter so the middles won’t be soft (or even hard) while the ends are crispy.
- Drop the strips into a bowl for storage. Add some oil to coat (1-2 TBSP) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Thin strips are better. The smaller the strips, the faster they will cook. This means faster food on the table!
- Put a lid on and shake it up to coat the strips with the oil and salt/ pepper.
- Spread strips on a parchment lined pan. Do NOT crowd the strips as they will bake better and be crispier if they have room.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Turn fries over, turn oven down to 400 degrees and bake 5-10 minutes more or until fried on the edges. Eat while they’re warm as they are the crispiest right out of the oven.
You’ll notice that I only baked some of the fries. This means I could return the container to the oven and save the rest for another meal. Another option is to cut up more fries while the pan of strips is cooking. This is a great way to have food prepared for later in the week!